Flixxo: 2020 and beyond
Partnerships, NFTs, DeFi, white label and a full refactory of the product. 2020 was an amazing year… 2021 is going to be awesome.
In June 2018, Flixxo became the first p2p video platform with an economic incentive for its users. Our first army of Flixxers were crypto-savvy-users. Later, in 2019, we delivered the first mobile versions. In 2020 we focused on the non-crypto-savvy-final-users, releasing improved mobile and web versions (check it out at play.flixxo.com) while deprecating the original p2p client and the uploading tools.
2020 was, definitely, a year of changes and challenges. After releasing the app in July with a huge PR campaign, and the opening of the new season of cult cartoon Alejo and Valentina, we started to deal with an army of real users. Most of these new users have never dealt with cryptocurrencies. Flixx became their first token, their first approach to Bitcoin, blockchain and cryptocurrencies. It was also a new experience for content creators.
In August, after a great initial month in which the token tripled its price, Kucoin exchange was hacked, losing 5,5MM Flixx that have been dumped in the market. This situation dropped the price of Flixx down to its all time low. While we decided to keep the liquidity in Decentralized exchanges (Bancor and Uniswap) pretty low to avoid further drops, closing 2020 Livecoin exchange was hacked too. It seems that Flixx hasn’t suffered after this event, but so far and without further news from the exchange, we have lost Livecoin as a market. Price has started to resurge in Liquid — which is an exchange we encourage users to use — and we are rebuilding liquidity in DEXs. However, this situation was hard to explain to content creators who saw their earnings quickly falling to the ground. To rebuild the trust of the creators with the platform, we have decided to honour a price of $0,015 per token to the creators that decided to cash out their Flixx.
During 2020, we engaged some big companies with our ecosystem. On one hand, Caracol TV from Colombia and Dori Media Group from Israel, trusted in our model and brought 10 shows to the platform. On the other hand, we have licensed part of our original shows — Alejo and Valentina, Neptunia, Movies in real life and Alt Esc — to other platforms and airlines for inflight consumption. This revenue flow will cover new productions, further development, and part of the funds will be used to buy back tokens in the market and improve liquidity.
One of the biggest challenges for a video platform is related to the costs of delivery of the content. As the platform scales, these costs grow exponentially and it becomes an unsustainable business with great chances of losing capital very fast. Netflix, Disney, Pluto TV, backed by huge corporations, can afford to have such loses until they reach an equilibrium. As a startup, backed by an ICO, we cannot spend large amounts of money on content delivery, we need to focus on development and marketing first. Luckily, we’ve been improving and testing the p2p infrastructure and we can say — empirically — it is possible to save up to 80% of delivery costs. We have also created new tools for p2p adaptive streaming and a back-to-end DRM infrastructure, which allows us to attract the biggest content creators to our network. Which is something that is likely to happen pretty soon…
One of the biggest challenges for a video platform is related to the costs of delivery of the content. We’ve been improving and testing the p2p infrastructure and we can say — empirically — it is possible to save up to 80% of delivery costs.
2020 completed Milestones
- We released our first mainstream mobile apps, including a brand new award-winner landing page and the first web player, reaching more than 60k registered users in the first six months.
- Flixxo hosted the horror film festival Buenos Aires Rojo Sangre, which was a huge success, tripling the audience of its 2019 edition.
- Flixxo Originals were the most popular videos in the platform, with Alejo & Valentina and Neptunia as the big winners.
- Flixxo licensed its original content to other platforms, generating a revenue flow of over USD50k for further development and new productions. During December and January 2021, Movies in Real Life and ALT ESC hit among the top shows in Flow, the biggest SVOD platform in Argentina.
We released our first mainstream mobile apps, including a brand new award-winner landing page and the first web player, reaching more than 60k registered users in the first six months.
- Flixxo acquired a participation in Paisanos.io, one of the most promising software factory in LATAM, to further develop the Flixxo ecosystem and a white label version of the platform, while providing UX/UI services for the crypto and fin-tech universe.
- Flixxo initiated and sponsored The Sound of Bitcoin, one of the most interesting crypto communication projects of 2021.
- Flixxo partnered with ADEX, to provide ads for the web player.
2021 upcoming Milestones
- We are closing the first deal with one of the five majors, bringing bite sized content from one of the biggest and most renowned studios worldwide. Content will be available in August 2021 for Argentina, Chile and Uruguay as a first stage of our partnership.
We are closing the first deal with one of the five majors, bringing bite sized content from one of the biggest and most renowned studios worldwide.
- Flixxo will release its first white label platform, with an innovative mixture of Subscription VOD and Transactional VOD, with our token Flixx. We will make the official announcement soon, but this platform has been around for the last couple of years, it is focused on indie/artie content, and it will be rebuilt from scratch using our tech (p2p distribution+p2p payments) This new platform will include a marketplace for NFTs and will be publicly released worldwide in Q3-Q4 2021.
- We’ve been working in refactoring the creators platform and the p2p client, and we will release the new versions during the second half of 2021. This new version will include DeFi incentives for staking.
- Finally, the new offices are ready! Even though we built the facility as an audiovisual creative hub with a TV studio, and given our new partnership with Paisanos.io, we’ve decided to use part of the building as Paisanos’ headquarters, bringing together our dev team with the rest of the team (operations, content, communication and marketing) We have opened the studio to professionalize and incentivize content creators that join our ecosystem.
- We will be partnering with RSK to bring up a new DeFi ecosystem on top of Bitcoin, that will include our token Flixx.
- We have several original shows ready to be released, to name some of them: Death on Arrival, Backstage and Bizarre Creatures will be released this year.
- Interactive content is coming to Flixxo! Our first original ALT ESC, will join a selection of interactive microseries from all around the world to open a new window of experiences for our users and monetization models for content creators.
- Flixxo will expand its marketing efforts to the other countries of LATAM, Spain and US Hispanic market.
2021 is going to be one of the most important years for our ecosystem.
We keep buidling.